I bought some “Paleonola” at the store and really liked it so I decided to make my own – but decided to sprout my nuts. I looked at a few recipes online and created my own:
|1c raw walnuts
1c raw cashews
1c raw almonds
1c raw pecans
1/2c raw pumpkin seeds
1/2c raw sunflower seeds
1.5c unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2c dried cherries
|1/8c chia seeds
1/2c coconut oil
2t vanilla extract
1t ground cinnamon
½ t sea salt
- Mix together and rinse all of the nuts. Place in a bowl and cover with water.
- Mix the pumpkin and sunflower seeds and rinse. Place in another bowl and cover with water.
- Soak both mixtures overnight.
- Strain and rinse the nuts & seeds and place in a food dehydrator over night. (If you do not own a dehydrator, set oven to 115°F, spread out on a sheet pan and dry out for 4 hours or overnight.
- Once dried, mix nuts, seeds, and coconut flakes in a food processor briefly to get smaller pieces.
- Heat the coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sea salt in a medium size pot until melted and mix thoroughly.
- Add the mixture, plus raisins, cherries, and chia seeds. Mix well to coat.
- Lay the mixture out on 2 baking sheets covered with parchment paper. Bake for 30 min at 300 degrees.
- Once cooked, set out to cool. Then give it one final mix and enjoy! Yum!
I’ve been mixing it in with greek yogurt or just eating on its own. The whole family is eating it and getting addicted. My toddler especially loves it!
I will definitely be making it again and plan to explore different nuts and sweetness levels. I thought it was a little on the sweet side. I’d like to try it with less honey or perhaps a lower glycemic sweetener (agave) – or no sweetener at all. I’d also like to try mixing in an egg white. It’s supposed to make it more chunky.